Easy Solutions Labs today issued an advisory that it is seeing increased activity, aimed at conducting account takeovers, targeting specific banks in Colombia and Venezuela.
Easy Solutions discovered this targeted threat via the company’s Detect Monitoring Service (DMS), which provides proactive protection against phishing attacks. DMS’ 24×7 Security Operations Center’s agents’ continuously monitor the internet for fraud activity and brand related threats. Additionally, Easy Solutions powerful proprietary methodology for connections analysis allows for early notification of malicious activity, and rapid disablement of fraudulent sites.
Using DMS, Easy Solutions Labs has discovered a website providing specific instructions of how to obtain an email account and in some cases digital certificate needed to compromise accounts at targeted banks in Latin America.
Easy Solutions recommends banks in the targeted regions take the following actions immediately, to protect themselves and their customers.
- Increase scrutiny of online transactions
- Be especially suspicious of users changing email and launching transaction in a short period of time
- Assume the operation will involve consumer and corporate accounts, and therefore increase monitoring for both
- Consider increasing the requirements of multi-factor authentication for suspicious activity or account changes
- Report any fraudulent activity to your online fraud prevention partner and/ or email@example.com
Easy Solutions customers are already protected from these techniques, leveraging the Collaborative Protection capabilities of DMS. Collaborative protection gathers big data on any malicious process found on devices running DSB to provide fraud intelligence for the early detection and deactivation of sites hosting malware and attacks. This helps to reduce fraud across the entire customer population of Easy Solutions’ customers.